Sunday, March 14, 2010

A very newsy post

Lots of stuff for today!  Let's start with the stitchy news, shall we?  First off, my new project, Catherine Maudsley by the Drawn Thread.  Here is how far I am with her.

 Catherine Maudsley by the Drawn Thread
40ct Meadow Rue
NPI threads

I'm really loving her, especially that border and the reds.  Yummy!


Next up, Nicole asked in my last post how big my Margaret Harris Sampler from Blackbird Designs ended up being since it was stitched over one on 30ct.   I took this picture to show the answer visually.


The lovely ruler is from Tanya at The Scarlett House

In the "in other news" department, about a week and a half ago, my poor father type was in his car on the way to work, tried to step on the brakes, and it being a snowy, wet day, the car promptly kept going until it slid into the car in front of him.  The air bags deployed and my poor father type was quite shaken up.  They ended up taking him to the hospital, but thankfully the tests showed he was fine -- just a few scrapes and a very shaken father type.  I got him home just fine and he was back to normal in no time.

We waited for a whole week, surviving on one car between the two of us.  Then finally exactly a week later, we got the verdict: the car, a 1996 Honda Accord wagon with over 160,000 miles on it, was totalled.  If it hadn't been so old or the air bags hadn't deployed, it might have been a different matter -- they might have fixed it.  But as it was, totalled.  So we had to limp along without a second car for the rest of the week.

Thanks to modern technology and the web, yesterday, after having done our research and knowing ahead of time that we wanted a Honda, the father type went online and expressed interest in a new Honda Civic (don't ask me where he did this, but it was some website online).  The result was that all the local dealers in the area started emailing him with their offers on a new model.  The father type was able to do some dealing right online before we even stepped into a car dealership!  It was great!  And again, thanks to modern technology and everyone wanting everything yesterday, we ended up with a new Honda Civic sedan by the end of the day.  The father type is very happy with his new car.


The whole process still has me reeling.  We usually spend a long time deciding on a car much less buying one.  Plus which, this is our first new car in over ten  -- count 'em ten -- years!  So this is going to take some getting used to!  lol!

For those of you who are clever enough to wonder about the double bass carrying capacity of this car, the answer is, we don't know.  I really doubt that the double bass will fit in the car as well as two people.  I actually doubt the double bass would fit period.  But we still have my minivan and hopefully having just one double bass carrying car will be enough.  Who would have thought that one day this would even be a consideration in our car buying?

Finally, I've won an award!  Thanks to Belinda of Blue Ribbon Designs, Melissa of Words and Blooms, and Cari-in-VA of Serene Stitches, I won the Beautiful Blogger Award!  Thank you ladies! 


Here are the rules that come with the award:
1. Thank the person who gave you the award.
2. Paste the award on your blog.
3. Link to the person who nominated you.
4. Tell 7 interesting things about yourself.
5. Nominate 7 blogs and post links.

So the first three are done.  Here's the hard part.  7 interesting things about myself.  Well, in another post, I'd already done this sort of thing.   So you can read those interesting things (and so can I so I don't repeat myself!  lol!)  Here's the new list.

1. I've lived in 5 different areas of the country: Oklahoma, Kansas, Southern California, New Jersey, and New York.  I've lived in New York all my married life, so the rest was when I was a child and for college.  :D

2. I have a sister who's two years older than I am, and 3 step brothers, the youngest of whom is 2 years older than the girl child.  My father remarried a few years after my mother died and had a second family, thus the young step brothers.

3. I'm not a gardener.  I wish I were, but I'm not.  You can tell by our yard.  :D  (Unfortunately, the father type isn't a gardener either.)  I have eternal guilt about this since we bought our house from old friends of ours and they WERE gardeners.  We've sort of ruined the yard for them.  Sigh. 

4. My kids missed out on two chances to be rich.  The father type's great great grandfather  was the founder of Cadillac.  Unfortunately he was a poor businessman.  I won't go into the gory details.  My grandfather was the co-owner of the Fette - Lee rug company in China that made beautiful Oriental rugs.  The business went under due to WWII and the Communist takeover of China.  Thus, we aren't rich.  (I have googled the rug company online and fume  -- due to the usual sort of prejudice of the time, it seems sometimes the rug company is referred to only by the non-Asian owner's name, Fette.  Figures.  The co-owner of the rug company, who was always known in my family as Mrs. Fette, had a daughter who was my godmother.  The Fette family helped my family escape the Communists and come to this country.  I guess this should have been a separate little known fact.)

5. I've only had one guy in my life, the father type.  Nothing before him that I would call a real relationship.  We met in college and that was it.  We've been together for  29 years, and this year will be our 27th wedding anniversary.  We're old.  :D

6. I love Mission furniture.  We have a few pieces of Stickley furniture and I'd love to have more.  None of it is antique, which would be even cooler.

7. In another life I would have loved to be an interior designer.  But I don't have the color sense for it so it's good I'm not.

Now to nominate 7 other bloggers.  Lots of bloggers who I would have nominated have already been nominated, so that makes it tough.  But here are my nominations in no particular order. 

1.  Cathy
2.  Cari
3.  Sylvia
4.  Robert
5.  Corinna
6.  Glenna
7.  Melody

And now I'm thinking there are a lot more of you I could have nominated.

We are waiting for the girl child to come home from college.  She was supposedly coming home Friday night.  But Friday night she texted saying she had research to do so she was coming home Saturday after dinner.   Saturday rolled around, and she said never mind, she would come home Sunday morning (this morning).  This morning, she said nope, she'd come home this afternoon.   Now she's waiting for the train, but everything is delayed because of the lovely Nor'easter that went through yesterday (yes, we were car shopping in torrential rain and horrific winds).  Hopefully she won't get too delayed and will be home before evening.  I think the father type is looking forward to picking her up in his new, snazzy, red car.  :D

Thanks for stopping by and saying hi, everyone.  It's a joy to be part of this blogging world!  Enjoy the rest of your weekend!

39 comments:

Glenna said...

Margaret, I can't decide who I like better, Catherine Maudsley or the new Civic. Love the color! (of both, of course). What fun facts about you! And thank you so much for the award--now I'm going to have to think of something interesting to say about me--hee.

Bertie said...

So sorry to hear about "father type" getting the airbag in his face, happened to me once and is not nice, but glad to hear he survived!!
Love the colour of your new car.

Just love the Border on your new sampler, so unusual, great colours.

Glad to hear you got an award, your story's are too funny, and make me laugh a lot, thanks for that.

Stef said...

Thank goodness your husband is alright! Love your new red car and Catherine Maudsley!

woolwoman said...

Thanks for the award Margaret - WOW - I hope I can find time this week to do the requirements for this blogger award - please forgive me if I don't and just say THANK YOU! Since I work for a family who owns car dealerships in 3 states - I can attest to the fact that everything is moving towards the internet sales which is good for a consumer who is computer savvy - they can do all their research into prices, models, equipment etc on line which takes all the drama out of the situation when you arrive on site. Typically internet customers have finalized their deal on line and all they have to do is test drive and sign papers which sounds like the procedure your DH chose.

Catherine is lovely - I think I have this stashed - I know I liked it when it came out. You do such exquisite work and always pick things I love. thanks again for choosing me ! Melody

Jackie's Stitches said...

Catherine Maudsley is gorgeous. It's not one I've seen. Like you, I love the border and the reds.

I'm glad to hear your husband is ok. My husband wrecked our Accord a while back that had 200K in mileage on it and was in perfect condition. Even though we got a new Pilot, I still miss that car!

The French Bear said...

Wow, the new car is beautiful..... and so is the new stitching, I am always in awe of your hand work!!!!
Beautiful border and I love the tiny stitches!!!
Hugs,
Margaret B
p.s. I think if we share the same name you should split some of your talent!!! he he... wait, not sure what I could give you..... hmmmm ;)

Catherine said...

So glad the the father type is okay! Enjoy your new car - and hopefully spring is here, so you won't have to worry about any more slick streets this year!

Love, love, love your stitching piece - that boarder is beautiful!

Liz said...

Great post Margaret, love the new car (wish I'd bought red instead of white!) and the new stitching. Enjoy having your girl child home and have a good week.
Lizzie
xxx

Sherry said...

Congratulations on the new car! I am so glad he wasn't hurt but being shaken up like that can be bad enough! Also congratulations on the blog award! You certainly deserve it!

Oh -- Catherine is lovely! I can tell that border is really going to be a beauty! Margaret is so sweet and small. You really packed a big punch into a small piece!

Laurie in Iowa said...

Love the new car and the lovely new sampler you are stitching.

Amy said...

I love the Catherine Maudsley.

I got a new truck this past July. Isn't it exciting. Mine is a Deep Ocean Pearl Blue 2009 Dodge Ram. Never had a new truck or car.

Have a wonderful week.

mainely stitching said...

Whew, so glad to hear that everyone is okay despite the nasty accident, and that the car situation was so quickly and painlessly resolved.

Chocolates4Breakfast (Terri ~ Boog) said...

Wow, Margeret - Catherine Maudsely is gorgeous! You do find the most exquisite samplers! So glad the FT is A-OK. I'll be air bags deploying would shatter your nerves. I shake all over just from a fender bender - much less air bags! Glad he's okay and love your new car. How Fun!

You so deserve this award - I'm a chicken when it comes to doling them out - so afraid I'll hurt someone's feelings but this is probably the most fun award yet - love hearing about everyone. One guy for you - how wonderful!

valerie said...

Catherine is looking wonderful...what a great new start!

Sorry to hear about the Father Type's accident. Ugh, weren't we just talking about old cars too?! The new Civic looks great...I love red! :)

corinna said...

love the sampler
i am esp fond of your border flowers

thanks for the nomination
good night nellie,i would choose everyone on my blog list !
who to choose from?
i do not know that i could

my hubby has a civic x2yrs
loves it!
i enjoyed the "things about you"
smiles
c

Susan said...

Congrats on the new car!
I love the new stitching! I just don't know how anyone stitchs on 40ct but lots of you do it.

Happy Stitching and visiting with your daughter!

Alice said...

Great progress on Catherine and so quick too! Glad to hear your DH is ok but I bet he was shaken up. Nice new dangerous red car you have there. Its amazing what horse trading can be done under the current economic situation. Well worth it for the buyer. I loved reading about you.
Hugs
Alice

Nicole said...

Beautiful start on Catherine Maudsley (I can't believe you just started it)!! Love the new car - it's a beautiful color! I also loved learning more about you!

Deb said...

Love your new sampler Margaret!!! And very happy that no one was hurt, although I'm sure the whole thing, especially the airbag deployment was awful!! But love that new car! I'm partial to Hondas, and would love to have a red one! Loved reading all your facts - especially how you could have been rich!

Roberta said...

Wow, so much newsy things. Love the new car (we are a Honda family)sorry about the accident and that 'father type' is OK.

Catherine Maudsley is lovely -love the colors.

Giovanna said...

Love your new WIP! Glad to read that your DH didn't sustain serious injuries, but sorry your car was totalled - congrats on the new one!

Loraine said...

Oh Margaret! So much to comment on. First of all, I loved reading about you! I'm so glad that you posted all of that about yourself. Love Stickly furniture too, but I don't have any. Someday...
So sorry about not inheriting some money from talented and smart relatives! At least you have a good story to tell.
So sorry to hear about your car! I'm glad no one was hurt, and it's great that you were able to get a car so quickly. Love the internet!
Your sampler is simply divine! I love the border as well. It's so different, and striking!
Your BB sampler is simply wonderful too. I have never seen this little sampler! It is so cute done over one!
Thanks again for the newsy post! So fun to read! Many Hugs!

The Scarlett House said...

Hey Margaret, you are just zipping along on Catherine. That border took me forever. It looks wonderful with the fabric choice, afterall the talk about it. I found all the interesting things about you, well...interesting. And for the record, I've always thought you were a beautiful blogger, but congratulations that others think so, too.

Melissa said...

I love reading all those interesting facts about you, Margaret!

I love Catherine Maudsley. I've never seen it before so will have to check it out!

Glad your DH is fine. Isn't it great to get a brand new car with that new car smell that makes you feel 'special' every time you sit in it? I do. We didn't get our first new car for something like 17 years! Have fun!

Siobhán said...

Margaret, your Catherine looks great! YGG! Great start. Congrats on the new car, too. As they say over here (and what it means, I don't know... I kept thinking I wasn't catching the dialect at first...), "Well wear"! I think that is Clare-ish for "be safe in your new car".

I enjoyed reading the fun facts about you & getting to know more about you!

Marjorie said...

Love your new start! I wish I didn't hate borders so much or I would follow in your footsteps. Glad to hear DH wasn't injured!

KarenV said...

Margaret, I'm glad the father type wasn't badly hurt, just shaken up!

Love your progress on CM - the colours are just gorgeous, especially the coral reds. Very pretty!

Lois said...

Catherine is looking gorgeous! As for the shiny new car, well, it's gorgeous too! I'm glad your DH is okay and was just badly shaken.

Enjoyed reading your seven things especially your connections that could have made you rich!

Michelle said...

Catherine looks amazing!!! That border is scrumptious! I loved getting to know you a little better - very interesting facts!! Love the new car, I am sure it will serve you well.

Karoline said...

Catherine is looking gorgeous, great start

Glad to hear the 'father type' is OK after his accident. The new car looks good.

The French Bear said...

Margaret, thank you for your kind words and your wonderful inspiration!!!!
Hugs,
Margaret B

antique quilter said...

congrats on the award you deserve it I love your blog
very inspirational.
Hope your daughter got home safely it was horrible around here, we had no power for over 2 days!
nice car!!!!! Love your new project.
Kathie

Susan said...

Margaret, I gave a blogger award to you on my site, but being behind on my blog reading, didn't realize you had already received one. It's well deserved!

Sorry to hear about the car. The replacement is very sporty! I hope you enjoy it!

Will look forward to seeing more of Catherine Maudsley!

Alma Allen said...

Hi Margaret,

Very sorry about your husband. Just glad he is ok. Your Catherine Maudsley sampler looks great. The border is lovely...but how is it stitching the same motif over and over? Do you think it goes quickly? ...it's not one of those motifs you can memorize and stitch without looking at the chart either.
And congratulations on your award! You deserve it.

Carol E. in AZ said...

Wow, just found your site thanks to Blackbird's listing. You do some beautiful stitching. I've not stitched anything over one on 30 count yet, I've not been brave enough. I will have to try it some day. I plan to add your blog to my favorites. :)

Solstitches said...

Your Catherine Maudsley is so lovely - such gorgeous colours.
As for your Blackbird Designs piece all stitched over one - wow!
I just love that.
Margaret

Sherry said...

there is an award waiting on you at my blog

marylin & poussy said...

Which beautiful blog best regards of FRANCE

doris said...

Ugh, nothing fun about a car accident! I'm sorry to hear about your hubby's ordeal. Hopefully, he's feeling a little happier driving around in such a perfect replacement.

Miss Catherine is beautiful.