Monday, August 25, 2014

Maine!

Sorry that I wasn't commenting on blogs this past week, but I do have an excuse.  We were on vacation up in Maine!  But first, I will show you what I worked on while on vacation.  I started working on a hexie purse from a pattern by Brigitte Giblin.  It uses 1/2" hexies, and I'm using all Liberty Tana Lawn prints.  I'm loving this project!

This is the first side finished.  I've started the second side as well but didn't take a pic of it.


I also started the Boxy Sweater by Joji Locatelli.  I'm using Madeline Tosh Light in Worn Denim -- love this color yarn!


And here is my fussy cut star for the week using another Salt Water fabric (the octopus one) from Tula Pink.



But Maine!  It was a big family vacation this time around.  We went with my sister's family, and my father and stepmother.  The boy child was picked up by us and was along as well.  The girl child showed up on Wednesday evening.  I will let the pictures do most of the talking.


Mia guarding the bags so we can't leave her behind.


Meeting the boy child in Boston.


Squished in the back of the car with my niece and nephew.


Just a taste of the spectacular house we stayed in for the week.



Taking pics on a rock up on a hill by the house.  (Yes, it was part of the property.  Amazing views!)


My father reading and enjoying the view from the terrace of the house.  (That's the bay out there.)


The patriarch, my father.


Stash from a lucky encounter with a lovely sewing shop called Clementine in Rockland, Maine.  I loved their fabric selection -- and they even had lovely yarn and wool for felting as well!


Sunrise out our bedroom window.


The boys enjoying a natter out on the terrace.


My niece practicing her violin.  She's quite the musician!


Camden Harbor.


Picking up the girl child at Portland Jetport.


Celebrating the belated birthdays of my niece and the girl child (niece's birthday August 8, girl child's birthday August 16).


View from the loft of the house.


A fantastic knitting store called the Cashmere Goat in Camden, Maine.  Wish I'd had more time to browse!


Fried clams, a necessity in my book.  From a lovely restaurant called Hills Seafood in Rockland, Maine.

We all had a great time, although as always it was too short.  We stopped by my sister's on the way home since we had an extra passenger in our car to drop off.  The boy child took a family selfie before we left.


Mia was very happy to see us when we got home.  And happy to explore my bag when I was unpacking too.


And now all is well with Mia's world.


Thanks as always for stopping by and saying hi.  I hope everyone has a great week!

US Open tennis -- I CAN'T WAIT!!!!!


37 comments:

Samplings from Spring Creek said...

Your vacation looks wonderful--beautiful place to rest and recharge the batteries.

Mia's face is so telling--she's so happy when her family returns and she loves the boy child!

Beautiful fabrics and yarns

Vera said...

Hi Margaret - looks like you had a fabulous time in a beautiful location. Great shopping!! Nice pictures of everyone. Love the purse, star, fabric stash, etc. Fun, fun, fun. Mia looks like she is getting bigger and bigger!! Bet she was so happy to have you home again.

Annie said...

Your hexie purse looks terrific so far. I've never tried to do hexies. I'm guessing mine would come out totally wonky.

Love the new yarn. That's really a good color.

And what a wonderful place to vacation and be with family. You really document these adventures well!

Marsha said...

Beautiful vacation! Glad you got to be with family, it makes special memories. Your stitching and knitting look great.

Ellen said...

Looks like a wonderful vacation in Maine. Beautiful scenery and surrounded by those you love and love you too.

I always enjoy seeing what wonderful things you've created the past week. It wouldn't feel like Monday morning without checking your blog to see what's new with you.

Vicki said...

Looks like a grand time was had by all! What a beautiful location to visit.

Cari said...

Wonderful post Margaret. First of all, your father must be very, very proud to be the patriarch of such a lovely family. I enjoyed every pic. And Maine…what a beautiful home you stayed in…and the shopping…and the restaurants. I could go on and on. I could move right in !! I'm loving your hexies, what's not to love about Liberty fabrics? Can't wait to see the purse finished. Oh and the knitting, and Mia …

Hugs dear friend and thanks so much for sharing.

Vickie said...

Oh man! That is fantastic! That house! Wow!
That purse is going to rock!!

Berit said...

Loving it all! Especially that rug as viewed from the loft and GIrl Child's traveling ensemble!

What great summer memories you've made. :)

Melissa said...

That is so cute seeing Mia in bliss-land with that smile! That's hilarious!

What a great family vacation in Maine and you snuck in some great shopping!

Of course I will comment on the sewing fabric portion! You got a M&M Trapeze dress pattern! Can't wait to see your make on it. I do have a couple of their patterns but not made up yet, and not of that one. The hexie purse in progress looks great!

The Inspired Stitcher said...

What a wonderful vacation! Looks like a really nice time away.

Kerri said...

What a great way to end the summer! Spending time with family is a great investment in memories for everyone.

Love - Love - Love all your fussy cut stars!

Brenda in WI said...

Looks like a lovely vacation with family. Also, you have a beautiful daughter Love the clothes she is wearing. She has great taste.

Hazel said...

Love your pictures and your quilt. I think I need to make it my ambition to learn how to quilt and make at least one quilt blanket in my life! X

Vonna Pfeiffer said...

What a great family vacation :) I love to peek into other's worlds and yours is always no exception for fun and frivolity! Mia and her boy...friends forever!

Linda said...

Looks like a wonderful vacation Margaret. Your sewing and knitting are lovely.

Linda

Kim said...

What an awesome family trip!! You are so blessed! I absolutely love your Boxy yarn choice! And the hexie purse.....no words! I can't wait to see it in its finished glory!

Krista said...

Love the new yarn you are using!! So beautiful! Looks like an amazing vacation, such an idyllic and serene place! Maine is one of my favorite places although I have not been in over 20 years! Enjoy the week and the US Open!

Charlene ♥ NC said...

You get more done on vacation than I do at home! Looks like a lovely coastal getaway... beautiful harbor!

woolwoman said...

did you find that lovely MT ML in Camden ? How nice to find a yarn shop AND a fabric shop !! YGG - loved seeing the photos of all your happy family members and the awesome views from the house you were renting. I've never been to Maine - would love to make it there one day. Can't wait to see Boxy materialize and also the hexie purse. have a great week Mel

Melanie said...

What? No comments on vacation?? You are a terrible person for sure. ;)
Sounds like a great time. Everything a vacation should be. Particularly nice that so much of your family could go, too.
That house is stunning and those VIEWS. Damn. I want to live there now. *pout*

Teresa S. said...

I know it will not surprise you to find out I have that exact same Vera Bradley duffel bag :) The fried clams looked delish! And I think of Murder She Wrote when I see Maine. I haven't been there since the 60's. Wonderful trip, Margaret!

Mary said...

Just tracked the Boxy Sweater down on Ravelry and have to say - I love it!

The older I get the more I love my rare time with my family. So glad you had the chance for some too, especially in such a lovely setting.

Rugs and Pugs said...

What a wonderful vacation. Gorgeous views.
Thanks for sharing.
Hugs :)
Lauren

Sue Tielert said...

You're vacation looked wonderful - such great pics! I'm so glad Mia got some quality boy child time....that cat is so cute! :-)

Loretta a/k/a Mrs. Pom said...

Looks like a lovely vacation! How wonderful to have your Dad along, too. Mia is such a crack up!

Beth said...

Lovely vacation. I think multi-generational vacations are extra special too. So nice your extended family gets along and enjoys being together.

Carol said...

Wonderful Maine photos, Margaret! We were away last week, too (but at the hot and sweaty beach--I would rather have been in Maine--ha ha!!).

I love that new hexie project--can't wait to see more :)

Evelyne said...

Beautiful vacation pictures.
I'm surprised because I made also a Tula Pink Octo Garden Star in the same colour.
I love your star it's a great one.
The hexagon purse look lovely too.
Have a nice week,
Evelyne

Miss Pants said...

That quilt will be so pretty!

I bet you had a wonderful time in Maine. Being a Florida girl originally, I've always wanted to see the rocky coast of Maine. Maybe next year!

Anne said...

Oooh so many photos to look at! I've seen a lot of them already ...hehee!! What a fun time all together and obviously you have quite the musicians in the family! Must have been nice to hear your niece play the violin. I used to love listening to my grandfather play his guitar everyday. Sweet Mia must have been in heaven having you all home!! Hugs!

Melody said...

It looks like all of you had a good time! What a wonderful spot for a vacation!! I would love to go to Maine someday.

Karoline said...

I've been enjoying your holiday photos, Maine is somewhere I would love to visit.

All your projects are looking lovely and Mia is very cute!

Carolyn Boutilier said...

Hi Margaret, Thank you for your wonderful vacation pictures. Great little Hexies. They are fun to work.
Love Mia. She looks content with boy child.

Sally said...

Wonderful photos from your holiday Margaret. Looks like everyone had a briallint time.

Love all your crafting. Your hexie purse is looking gorgeous.

Kaisievic said...

Love your holiday spot. Great family pics, too.

Brigitte said...

Maine, what a wonderful region it must be. It's one of the places on my list, lol. Great pictures from the family vacation.